People's Community Church (PCC) Dozier Scholarships
Two academic scholarships are being awarded following communion. In 1986, the Dozier Scholarship was established by the church in memory of Leon R. Dozier II who was the grandson of Mother Laura Dozier. For thirty-three-consecutive years the church has awarded scholarships to students pursuing university degrees.
North End Foundation of Berea, Inc Scholarships
Two are being awarded today. This is the first year the foundation is offering academic scholarships. These scholarships are designed for students that have been accepted into two-year colleges or trade/vocational schools. The goal is to provide maximum opportunity for our youth by including this North End Foundation Scholarship alongside our four-year PCC academic Dozier Scholarship.
I invite you to join me in thanking the Berea City Club of Berea and the Foundation of Dr. Vasu Pandrangi, president of Southwest General Health Systems, for making these academic awards available to our youth.
Berea Uptown 7th Annual Community Pig Roast/Cookout – Today Noon to 3:pm on our church grounds
Today's Pig roast program is as follows:
- Prayer and meal with family, friends, and guests from our community. We will enjoy plenty of delicious desserts that you and others bring annually to assist with this very important fundraiser for our Berea/Midpark youth.
- A special ceremony to remember Deacon Al Albergottie and others in our church family who passed within the past twelve (12) months. This ceremony will be conducted outside near the memorial stone for Deacon Al Albergottie.
- There will be a fencing demonstration here on our grounds at 645 North Rocky River Drive where we razed the house that was located there. Mr. John Shaughnessy, owner of Wayside Furniture, will give the demonstration that will begin right after the memory ceremony. I've scheduled the demonstration to occur around 1:00 pm or right after we finish eating.
- I am expecting our dear friend, Bill Sagaser, who has been living in Florida to be here in worship with us today. As you begin to read today's pastor's letter, I hope you will look around and see him here with us if you have not already spotted his smiling face. Also, during our time outside at the Pig Roast, we will gladly stand and sing happy birthday to him. Bill is turning 90 years old. What a blessing! Joining Bill today in our worship are Gerri Cheshire and Chuck and Diana Flama, and many others from their family.
- I thank Lori Kleem and many other wonderful volunteers that make this annual pig roast an outstanding event. You will learn of these valuable volunteers by watching them work this event as they've done annually. Thanks to all in attendance today and for those that ordered "To Go Meals" for your support of our youth in this community.
Tickets are $25 per person and proceeds benefit the Berea Youth Workers. If you wish a ticket for today's event contact anyone working today's pig roast to obtain a ticket.
Next Sunday, August 12, 2018-Worship at Coe Lake behind Berea City Hall at 10:00am
Next Sunday morning, we will assemble for worship in the park. See the details below.
The following Sunday, August 19, Special Congregational Meeting
The next step in the church's process to vote on selecting a new pastor is to conduct a special congregational business meeting. You are encouraged to attend and participate in the voting process. All PCC members including associate members are eligible to participate in the voting. We've informed the membership of this upcoming special meeting but would appreciate your continuing to assist us in getting the word out to all of our members.
The process for the special congregation business meeting:
- Opening Prayer
- Report from the Pulpit Committee
- The voting procedure as outlined in our constitution:
Article VII Governing Principles
Section 3. Filling the Pulpit
- When the pulpit is vacant, the church will decide by a simple majority (greater than 50%) vote to call a pastor
- A pulpit committee will be selected and a charge given by the church.
- When a satisfactory candidate is identified there shall be a special meeting for the purpose of holding a vote. An announcement of this meeting will be made at every regular and special meeting of the church for two consecutive weeks.
- After the meeting has been duly opened, the candidate that receives the vote of 2/3 of the members present by standing ballots shall be declared the pastor.
Note: For your information the constitution is on the PCC Church App.
We are collecting school supplies. Please bring whatever items you wish to donate and put them on the chairs next to the handicapped railing in the rear of the church for school age children and their parents.
Feed-the-Kids- Ministry – Noon to 1:00, Monday through Friday Weekly
Lunches for kids are being served at two locations: People's Community Church 631 N. Rocky River Drive Berea, OH 44017 and St. Mary's School (New Location) 265 Baker Street Berea, OH 44017.
Summer Vacation and Traveling Mercies
Some of you are already traveling and will possibly make other trips out of town. I want to encourage you to please remember to take whatever steps you deem appropriate for you to continue making your financial contributions to support our ministries here at the church. As you know, our Church App provides you the option to make your financial donations effortlessly while away. If you have any questions, please contact one of our trustees or deacons.
Sunday, August 12, 2018 - PCC Church Service will be held at Coe Lake. 10:00 am. Bring your favorite "fixins" ready to serve. Service begins promptly at 10:00am!!! A picnic will follow.
T-Shirts are available to order after service on July 8th and 15th. Youth (XS -XL) and Adult (S-XL) $6. Adult (2XL – 5XL) $8 Make checks payable to People's Community Church
To all PCC women and friends, the Women's Prayer Share ministry is inviting you to a luncheon in honor of Sis. Elaine McCreary on Saturday August 25, 2018. The luncheon will be held in the Fellowship hall from 11:30am – 2:00pm. Women's Prayer Share Ministry
SAVE THE DATE:
Reverend Leroy & Elaine McCreary's Retirement Celebration ~ Friday, Sept 28, 2018 Church & Community Celebration 7pm – 9pm
Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018 Formal Dinner 6:30-9pm
Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018 Final Sermon 10:30 am.
August 6, through August 12, 2018
Mon. Exodus 16:13-17—God Provides Food for the People.
Tues. Mark 12:38-44—The Widow's Generosity.
Wed. Philippians 2:5-11—The Generous Self-Giving of Jesus.
Thurs. 2 Corinthians 8:1-6—Excel in Generosity.
Fri. 2 Corinthians 9:11-15—Generosity Results in Mutual Thanksgiving.
Sat. 2 Corinthians 8:7-15—Balance Need and Abundance Fairly.
Sun. 2 Corinthians 8:16-24—Support the Ministry of Church Leaders.
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.
--2 Corinthians 8:9, NIV