Sunday, October 28, 2018
Greetings in the Name of our Lord!
I would be remised if I did not begin this week by letting you all know how deeply appreciative my family and I are for the overwhelming shower of love we received last week during our fellowship meal. Many thanks to all who coordinated arrangements, prepared food, set up the fellowship hall and stayed to clean up. I ate more on Sunday than I have since the holidays last year! I am most thankful for all of the kind words and embraces that I and my family received. You all sure know how to make a Pastor and his family feel welcomed and words cannot express our gratitude!
This week I would like our prayer focus to be on civility, stability and peace in our nation. Political and ideological divides are causing divisions not seen in generations. Within the church we are also seeing a chasm beginning to grow as we try to make sense of what God would have us to do. I offer only one thought in this letter. We must recognize that our God is not bound to a binary assessment of Democrat vs Republican, Conservative vs. Liberal or Protestant vs. Catholic. Our commitment to walk in the love that He has shared with us should cause us to have the capacity to agree and disagree on political strategies without allowing those disagreements to justify verbal or physical violence towards others. I have asked us to share weekly that God Loves You; Aint a Thang you Can Do About It! Perhaps we should also remember that God Loves "Them" and it Aint a Thang you Can Do About That Either!
Our message this week draws from a funny story I will never forget from my maternal grandfather. You'll have to listen to the sermon but I'll give you an advance notice of what serves as both punchline and important message. As These Go, May Others Come!
The Lord God Bless You Real Good!
Community Meal This Wednesday!
Please hold the date October 31, 2018 for our turn to host the Community Meal at St. Paul's Lutheran Church-276 East Bagley Road, Berea, OH 44017. 440-243-1144 . As you know, our church does this each year.
Our commitment is for the opening prayer, money ($300.00), trustees will handle this, volunteers to make desserts, 8 – 10 volunteer servers, and advertisement of the event within our church family. The community meal is open to anyone who might need it for any reason. We should arrive at the church at about 5 PM for serving preparation and stay until the end to help with serving and clean-up. A sign-up sheet is on the Ushers' Table.
Voter Registration The next election date is Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
– this is from Cuyahoga Count Voter Registration website for your guidance and participation in the voting process of 2018:
Voters must be registered in Cuyahoga County in order to vote in any election. In order to vote in Cuyahoga County, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a United States Citizen;
- You must be at least 18 years old on the day of the General Election;
- You must be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 days;
- You must register to vote at least 30 days before an election to be eligible to vote.
- 17-year-old residents can register and vote in a Primary Election if they will be 18 on or before the General Election. 17-year-olds can vote for candidates only.
Vote by Mail
Who can vote by mail?
Every voter registered in the State of Ohio can vote by mail.
Why should I vote by mail?
- Avoid the lines on Election Day.
- Take your time researching the candidates and issues.
- Vote in the comfort of your own home!
How do I vote by mail?
- Submit a vote by mail ballot application (click the link above).
- We will mail your ballot to you with a return envelope.
- Vote your ballot and return it before Election Day.
When is the deadline to vote by mail?
- Your application must be returned by 12:00 p.m. on the Saturday before Election Day.
- Your ballot must be returned by 7:30 p.m. on Election Day or postmarked by the post office by the day before Election Day.
Gather Together—Community Thanksgiving Dinner
Please join us for a FREE Thanksgiving meal.
Thursday Nov. 22. Serving from 11am – 1pm
People's Community Church—631 N. Rocky River Dr. Organized by Daune Jaynes
Sponsored by THE BEREA CITY CLUB!
Interested in volunteering, delivering to shut-ins, or donating desserts? We would love for you to join us! A sign-up sheet will be on the ushers' table the first Sunday of November.
October 29, through November 4, 2018
Mon: Genesis 26:6-22—Water Issue Resolved Peacefully. Peoples Blessed .
Tue: Genesis 33:4-11—Jacob & Esau Reconcile, Families Blessed.
Wed: Hebrews 12:14-17—Too Late for Repentance.
Thurs. Hosea 12:2-6—Commit to God's Love and Justice.
Fri: Genesis 26:28-33—Differences Settled Peacefully.
Sat: Genesis 21:8-13; 25:17-18—God Blesses Ishmael And His Descendants.
Sun: Genesis 25:19-34—Different Traits Rooted in Conception.
The LORD said to her, "Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger."
--Genesis 25:23, NIV